Tile and grout in the home get dirt faster due to the porosity and easy discoloration of grout. You may even forget the original color of your grout because of how fast dirt can settle in it. Even after cleaning your countertops, shower walls, and floors, the grout between the tiles will remain dirty.
However, you don’t have to worry about the messes, as there are some DIY chemicals to clean these messes.
Yeah! Tile and grout cleaning can be performed with the use of some household cleaning agents.
The dirt and stains that settles between the tiles can ruin the importance of a clean bathroom and kitchen.
While there are lots of commercial grout cleaning companies on the market that can clean your grout effectively, they are usually composed of toxic chemicals that can be hazardous to your family.
To freshen up your floors, without the use of commercial grout cleaners, you can prepare a homemade grout cleaner from your everyday household stuff that you may already own and stored under your kitchen sink.
Let’s take a look at each of these DIY tile and grout chemicals.
- Heavy-Duty Homemade Recipe for Tile Grout Cleaner
The presence of dirty tile grout can quickly make the appearance of the cleanest areas of your bathroom and kitchen look dirty. With this homemade tile grout cleaner which is one of our homemade bathroom cleaner series, the process of cleaning your grout is made easier and your tiles and grout will look just new again.
Stubborn grime and stains will be dissolved by the baking soda, while a pure shiny appearance will show on your tiles with the help of ammonia. You mustn’t apply this solution closer to any chlorine bleach because the ammonia and bleach will turn chlorine into gas, which can be dangerous if inhaled.
- 1/3 cup of ammonia
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 7 cups of warm water
- ½ cup of baking soda
How to use to Heavy-Duty Homemade Recipe to clean Tile Grout Cleaner
Follow these steps:
- Mix soda, ammonia, vinegar, and water in a gallon container.
- Stir well to mix the ingredients.
- With the use of a funnel, pour the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the cleaner gently and perfectly on the grout line and leave it to sit for some minutes.
You can use the solution to spritz tiles as well.
- Spray and wipe using a sponge or soft cloth to clean porcelain tile.
- With the use of a scrub brush, scrub the grout gently to remove difficult dirt and stains.
- Wipe clean the grout using a sponge or damp cloth or use clean water to rinse the tiles and grout all at once.
- Best Homemade Grout Solution
Trying to clean your grout can be disturbing. It usually seems that regardless of how hard you scrub, you just cannot get rid of the dirt and stains that have stored up between your tiles for several years. This recipe makes use of three simple ingredients and will help give a nice and new look to all the grout in your home.
This solution also doubles effectively as a DIY soap scum remover for the shower and tub.
- ½ cup of baking soda
- ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
How to use Best Homemade Grout Solution
As you use this tile and grout cleaner, it is important to put on protective gloves. Even though the hydrogen peroxide you use in this cleaner is friendly, it can sting if it comes on any open wounds. If any of this cleaner gets into your eyes, make sure you rinse them off quickly. Get a small, squeeze-lid container and pour the baking soda.
- Add the exact portion of hydrogen peroxide to the baking soda.
- Pour the liquid dish soap into the bottle then replace the cover and shake properly to mix the ingredients well.
- Pour a mixture into the grout line and allow it to sit for a minimum of five minutes.
- With the use of a sponge or paper towel, wipe off the mixture.
- Remove any residue using water.
This is a natural cleaner and it also works well in getting rid of any mold or mildew infestation on the grout. As you are cleaning the grout, it is always nice to clean the tile as well. Apply this solution to clean ceramic tiles or another type of tile in the kitchen or bathroom for a fresh clean.
- DIY Grout Cleaner Using Essential Oils
You can easily make your grout cleaner with the use of popular ingredients that are available in your home. The essential oils, such as tea tree oil, lavender oil, and lemon oil used in this recipe are ideal because they contain antibacterial properties, as well as nice scents.
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of Castile soap
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of lemon oil
How to Use Essential Oils to Clean Grouts and Tiles
Follow these steps:
- Grab a small, 12 oz glass jar that has a lid and pour the baking soda into it, and then add the essential oils.
- Now pour the castile soap there.
- Properly mix the ingredients until it forms a thin paste. Make sure you reach the corners of the jar as the soda often dry.
- Mix the ingredient thoroughly, even if you must use a scraper.
This recipe is another type of a regular homemade shower cleaner recipe we often use. Apply the paste to the grout using a scrub brush or an old toothbrush.
- Leave it to sit there for some minutes.
- Use the brush to scrub along with the grout again. Do this again with the use of a wet brush. When mixtures are wet, it will start to foam, removing dirt with it.
- Lastly, wipe the grout with the use of a damp cloth and then rinse with water.
If there are still some noticeable stubborn stains after trying out these homemade recipes, and you noticed the grout is old and cracking, this may be the time to get rid of mortar from a tile.
- DIY Lemon Juice Grout Cleaner
Lemon juice is great for soap scum and stains removal from different surfaces (grout inclusive) because of its acidity. Since its acidity level is mild, it won’t cause damage or etch to surfaces.
The baking soda used in this all-natural recipe gives an abrasive substance that enables to scrub off the scum and dirt loosened by the lemon juice, leaving all the grout in your household clean.
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
How to use DIY Lemon Juice Grout Cleaner
Follow these steps to use DIY Lemon Juice Grout Cleaner:
- Combine the lemon juice and the baking soda in a small container to form a paste.
- Apply a thin layer of the paste to your grout using an old toothbrush or your finger.
- Leave it and let it sit for at least 5-min.
- Use a soft scrubbing brush or cloth to rub the paste into the grout.
- Rinse the area using warm water.
You can repeat the steps if necessary so you can remove any residual soap scum or dirt from the grout.
Other Natural Tile Cleaning Methods
You can easily make your tile shiny again through professional cleanings with the use of few items you already have in your home. Try these natural DIY mixtures that will turn your tile sparkling clean:
- Citrus Cleaner
Get a closed container; add orange peels as well as quart white vinegar into the container and leave it for 2 weeks. Get a spray bottle and add the citrus-vinegar solution with half-water into it and start using it for cleaning.
Apply it to the kitchen, fixtures, floors, tiles, and bath areas. The scent is also good.
- Baking Soda Scrub
Get rid of stain using baking soda. Use a DIY cleaning recipe to try mop your tile floor: ¼ cup of white vinegar, ¼ cup of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap, and two (2) gallons of warm water. You may also add some drops of lavender oil to add a fresh scent.
- Minty Wash
Mix equal parts of white vinegar, water, and rubbing alcohol, and then put ½ teaspoon of liquid dish soap with a few drops of peppermint oils. This is effective regardless of what you use (bucket or spray bottle) to dispense the solution onto your surface as you mop. Peppermint oil reduces ants and mice, too.
- Mold and Mildew Remover
For an instant and easy way to get rid of mold and mildew from your bathroom tile or shower curtain, combine equal portions of lemon juice and baking powder. Spread the solution on the spots with mold or mildew and let it sit for two hours before you rinse.
- Kill the Germs
A simple nice way to get rid of germs on your tile floor while cleaning them is to use a capful of mouthwash combined with a gallon of water. This mixture is effective on surfaces like tile, vinyl flooring, excluding wood surfaces.
Cleaning your tile floor can result in a mess and pain. If you need to clean tile and grout in your home, contact us at End of Lease Clean and we will get your dull, discolored floor back to looking shiny and clean.